I said « trying ». One does not simply eat a spoonful of Vegemite ! Believe me, I tried spreading it on a slice of bread as if it were « Nutella »… It is NOT ! But there are other ways to become an Aussie. You’ll find some typical Australian expressions while scrolling down to check out beautiful Sydney !
- Sydney Opera House
Facts: It was designed by a Danish architect and it opened in 1973 !
- Aussie: an Australian person
- Avo: Avocado. Avo toast: a toast with smashed avocado on top.
- Brekky / brekkie : breakfast. It’s brekkie time, let’s have an avo toast !
- Mozzie: a mosquito. plural: mozzies !
- Barbie: Barbecue ! Australians love it !
2. Sydney CBD (Central Business District) The city center
Facts: Sydney is the biggest city in Australia but it is NOT the capital city !
- Mate: friend, dude. That’s how they call everyone in Australia. Hey Mate 🙂
- Bludger: a lazy person.
- Bogan: an uneducated person. (un cas social in French).
3. Bondi Beach / Manly Beach
> « Bondi » comes from the Aboriginal word that means “water breaking over rocks”.
> « Manly » (viril) was discovered by Governor Arthur Phillip in 1788. He saw the local Indigenous people and described them as strong and manly.
- woop-woop: a lost place. Where does he live ? Out in wood-woop
- go walkabout: to be lost. I haven’t seen Simon, I think he’s gone walkabout !
- a roo: a kangaroo. a Joey: a baby kangaroo.